9 January 2023
1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (“the Commission”) held its 36th Extra-Ordinary Session (“the Session”) on 9 January 2023, virtually.
2. The Session was chaired by Honourable Commissioner Rémy Ngoy Lumbu, Chairperson.
3. The following Members of the Commission participated in the Session:
i. Honourable Commissioner Rémy Ngoy Lumbu, Chairperson;
ii. Honourable Commissioner Solomon Ayele Dersso;
iii. Honourable Commissioner Hatem Essaiem;
iv. Honourable Commissioner Maria Teresa Manuela;
v. Honourable Commissioner Mudford Zachariah Mwandenga;
vi. Honourable Commissioner Marie Louise Abomo;
vii. Honourable Commissioner Janet Ramatoulie SallahNjie;
viii. Honourable Commissioner Ourveena Geereesha Topsy-Sonoo; and
ix. Honourable Commissioner Litha Musyimi Ogana.
4. Honourable Commissioner Maya Sahli-Fadel and Honourable Commissioner Idrissa Sow were absent with apologies.
5. The Commission considered and adopted its agenda, with amendments.
6. The Commission considered and adopted its 2023 Annual Work Plan after its reorganisation.
7. The Commission considered and adopted the Resolution on the Renewal of the Mandate of the Commission of Inquiry on the human rights situation in the Tigray Region of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
8. The Commission deferred consideration of three (3) draft Resolutions to its 74th Ordinary Session.
9. The Commission also deliberated and took decisions on matters arising from the 73rd Ordinary Session.
10. The Commission will hold its 74th Ordinary Session virtually from 21 February to 7 March 2023.
Done this 9th day of January 2023