19 July to 2 August 2023
1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission) held virtually its 76th Ordinary Session (the Session) from 19th February to 2 August 2023.
2. The Session was chaired by Honourable Commissioner Rémy Ngoy Lumbu, Chairperson of the Commission, assisted by Honourable Commissioner Maya Sahli Fadel, Vice-Chairperson of the Commission.
3. In his speech, the Chairperson of the Commission mentioned his re-election for the second and last term of six (6) years as a citizen of Democratic Republic of Congo, representing Central Africa, and congratulated other three (3) Commissioners, i.e, Honourable Commissioner Maria Teresa Manuela from Angola, representing Southern Africa, re-elected; Honourable Commissioner Hatem Essaiem, from Tunisia, representing Northern Africa, re-elected; and Honourable Commissioner Salma Sassi-Safer, from Algeria, representing Northern Africa, newly elected.
4. The Session was attended by the following members of the Commission:
i.Honourable Commissioner Rémy Ngoy Lumbu, Chairperson;
ii.Honourable Commissioner Maya Sahli-Fadel, Vice Chairperson;
iii.Honourable Commissioner Solomon Ayele Dersso;
iv.Honourable Commissioner Hatem Essaiem;
v.Honourable Commissioner Maria Teresa Manuela;
vi.Honourable Commissioner Mudford Zachariah Mwandenga;
vii.Honourable Commissioner Marie Louise Abomo;
viii.Honourable Commissioner Janet Ramatoulie Sallah-Njie;
ix.Honourable Commissioner Ourveena Geereesha Topsy-Sonoo;
x.Honourable Commissioner Idrissa Sow; and
xi.Honourable Commissioner Litha Musyimi-Ogana.
5. The Commission considered and adopted its agenda with amendments.
6. The Commission considered and adopted the following documents:
i.Paper on the interpretation of Article 56(2) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Charter);
ii.Study on the Use of Force;
iii.Paper on Operating Procedures/Working Methods for Coordination;
iv.Concept Note- A Comprehensive Framework for Monitoring the Implementation of the Commission’s Promotion Missions;
v.Paper on African Values.
7. The Commission considered and adopted the following reports:
i.Report of the Secretariat on Administrative Seizures;
ii.Report on Audit of Communications;
iii.Report of the meeting of the working group on Communications;
iv.Report on the Status of the Follow Up Actions from 74th Ordinary and 75th Ordinary Sessions;
v.Report on the Decisions of the 74th and 75th Ordinary Sessions;
vi.Report on the Participation of the Commission in the Kigali Retreat of the Permanent Representative Committee (PRC) on the African Union Institutional Reform;
vii.Report of the Secretary to the Commission;
viii.Report on the 2024 Budget Allocation for the Commission;
ix.Report of the Chairperson of the Advisory Committee on Budgetary and Staff Matters;
x.Report on the Status of Implementation of the 2023 Annual Workplan;
xi.Report of the 77th Ordinary Session Pre-mission to Tanzania.
8. The Commission also considered and adopted the Mid-Term Review of the ACHPR 2021-2025 Strategic Plan.
9. The Commission considered and adopted Concluding Observations on the following Periodic Reports:
i.Periodic Report of the Republic of Zambia;
ii.Periodic Report of the Republic of Senegal.
10. In relation to Communications, the Commission considered and adopted a total of sixteen (16) decisions as follows:
i.Six (6) Communications on the Merits;
ii.Seven (7) Communications on Admissibility, of which three (3) was declared admissible and four (4) inadmissible;
iii.Two (2) Communications for strike-out; and
iv.One (1) request for withdrawal.
11. Concerning Resolutions, the Commission considered and adopted three (3) Resolutions as follows:
i.Resolution on the inclusion of refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons and stateless persons in national systems, services and economic opportunities in Africa
ii.Resolution on the serious deterioration of the human rights situation in the Republic of the Sudan as a result of the war unleashed on 15 April 2023;
iii.Resolution on Action to be taken by the Commission in the event of a prolonged delay in the Submission of the Initial Report (Proactive Approach);
iv.Resolution on the resurgence of unconstitutional change of governments in Africa;
v.Resolution on the Human Rights Situation in Senegal.
12. The Resolutions adopted shall be published on the Commission’s website: www.achpr.au.int
13. The 77st Ordinary Session of the Commission shall be held from 20 October to 9 November 2023, in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
Done on 2nd August 2023.