10 November 2019, Banjul, The Gambia - The Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Secretariat) wishes to inform the general public that the Special Mechanisms (the Working Group on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights in Africa; the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Women in Africa; and the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders in Africa) of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission), will be jointly organizing the following High Level Seminar and Conference from 8 to 10 December 2021, in Dakar, Senegal:
1. High Level Continental Seminar on the Right to Health and Social Protection in Africa; and
2. Regional Consultation on the Restoration of the Civic Space to enhance Human Rights protection in Africa.
The Seminar and Conference, which are part of the promotion mandate of the Commission, are being organized within the framework of Article 45 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (African Charter) and funded by the European Union (EU) under the EU/AGA Support Project 2021-2023.
The High Level Continental Seminar on the Right to Health and Social Protection in Africa is organized to raise awareness and remind States Parties to the African Charter of their obligations under the Charter, the Maputo Protocol and other relevant instruments towards the provision of adequate and affordable health care and social protection services as well as commit to give priority to health care and social protection by undertaking concrete legislative and other measures including reforms of their health sectors. The specific objectives are among others to:
- Understand the obligations of States Parties under the African Charter, the Maputo Protocol and other relevant instruments in respect of the right to health care and health services and social protection;
- Identify the gaps in the health care systems and social protection sector in AU Member States as well as at regional and continental levels;
- Raise awareness on/address the issue of deficient health care systems and insufficient social protection coverage/implementation;
- Collect data on quality of health and social services for documentation and research purposes;
- Share best practices regarding health care systems and social protection in States Parties;
- Formulate key recommendations to address the issues specific to the African context in this regard for implementation by the various stakeholders, namely States Parties, NHRIs, NGOs and other partners;
- Raise awareness on the Draft Protocol on the Rights of Citizens to Social Protection and Social Security.
The Regional Consultation on the Restoration of the Civic Space to enhance Human Rights protection in Africa, is organized to underscore the importance of the role of those who work for the promotion and protection of human rights in Africa and the necessity to restore the civic space through respect for freedom of association and assembly and the effective protection of human rights defenders and their activities. The specific objectives are to:
- Identify the challenges faced by human rights defenders in the conduct of their activities.
- Assess the ownership and implementation of the Guidelines by States
- Create a forum for discussion between the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, Member States and regional Civil Society actors regarding the place of defenders in the promotion and protection of human rights.
- Raise awareness among all relevant regional actors to initiate actions to strengthen the support to human rights defenders and encourage their protection at the national, regional and international level.
The Seminar and Conference will be attended by Honourable Commissioners Mudford Zachariah Mwandenga, Maria Teresa Manuela, Remy Ngoy Lumbu, Solomon Ayele Dersso; Expert Members of the Working Group on ECOSOC, representatives of Government Institutions, Parliamentarians, NHRIs, International Organizations, NGOs, Academic Institutions, Health and Social Workers and Journalists. The two activities will also be facilitated by Commissioners, Experts and staff of the Secretariat of the Commission.
For further information, please contact:
Secretariat, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
31 Bijilo Annex Lay-out, Kombo North District Western Region.
PO Box 673
Banjul, The Gambia
Tel: 220 4410505/6
Fax: 220 4410504