At its 36th Ordinary Session held from 23 November to 7 December 2004 in Dakar, Senegal, the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission) adopted Resolution ACHPR/Res.73 (XXXVI) 04 establishing a Working Group on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights in Africa (the Working Group).
Its mandate is as follows:
- Develop and propose to the Commission a draft Principles and Guidelines on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights;
- Prepare a revised draft of the State Reporting Guidelines for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights;
- Undertake, under the supervision of the Commission, studies and research on economic, social and cultural rights;
- Collect information and monitor the situation of economic, social and cultural rights within the States Parties to the African Charter;
- Advise the Commission on urgent measures to be taken to address issues related to economic, social and cultural rights that require immediate attention;
- Present a progress report to the Commission at each Ordinary Session; and
- Collaborate with other partners, including States Parties, National Human Rights Institutions, relevant Intergovernmental Organisations, International and Regional Mechanisms and Civil Society Organisations for the successful implementation of its mandate.
In discharging its mandate, the Working Group also undertakes promotion missions to States Parties to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter), organises seminars and training sessions, publishes reports and research findings, sends Letters of Urgent Appeals to States Parties to the African Charter on issues of human rights concern, and participates actively in national, regional and international meetings on, and activities related to economic, social and cultural rights.
The Working Group shall be composed of five (5) Experts representing the five (5) regions of the continent, taking into account linguistic and gender representation. Candidates must be national of a State Party to the African Charter and are required to have proven experience and expertise in human rights, in particular in the area of economic, social and cultural rights. The mandate of Working Group Member is for a period of two (2) years.
Accordingly, the Working Group hereby wishes to invite Applications from interested candidates from the North Africa region, to serve as an Independent Expert Member of the Working Group, with a view to attaining a regional balance in its membership.
Applications should be accompanied by a motivation letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and any other relevant document, and should be received at the Secretariat of the Commission no later than 10 March 2022. The Commission will appoint the new Expert Member of the Working Group during its 75th Ordinary Session, scheduled to take place in May 2023.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by courier to the following address:
African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
31 Bijilo Annex Layout, Kombo North District, Western Region
P.O. Box 673 Banjul