This inter-sessional Activity Report covers the period between the 48th Ordinary Session in November 2010 and this Session and is being presented pursuant to Rules of Procedure of the Commission.
The Report is in four parts: Part I covers my activities as a Member of the Bureau, Part II is devoted to my activities as Commissioner, Part III as Chairperson of the Working Group on Extractive Industries, Environment and Human Rights Violations in Africa, Part four IV as a Member of the Working Group on the Death Penalty and Part V as a Member of the Committee for the Protection of the Rights of People Living with HIV (PLHIV) and those at Risk, Vulnerable to and Affected by HIV.
PART I. Activities as a Member of the Bureau
1. From 29 November to 1 December 2010, I led a delegation of Commissioners and staff of the Secretariat to the IPAS Alliance organized retreat in Nairobi, Kenya. The retreat was called to sensitize the African Commission on various aspects of maternal mortality, unsafe abortions and human rights. The retreat was attended by medical practitioners, academics, representatives of the African Court and NGOs.
2. From 27 to 28 January 2011, I participated in the meeting of the Executive Council of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
3. From 29 to 31 January 2011, I attended the Summit of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
4. On the side lines of the summit was a joint meeting of the Bureau of the African Commission and African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights.
PART II. Activities as Commissioner
5. On 3 February 2011, in Lusaka, Zambia, I participated in a round table meeting of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights organized by the Zimbabwe Human Rights NGO Forum, as the Southern Africa Focal Point for the Africa Court Coalition, together with the African Women Millennium Initiative Zambia. I made a presentation on "the relationships between the African court and the African Commission".
6. From 23 February to 3 March 2011, I participated in the 9th Extra Ordinary Session of the African Commission held in Banjul, the Gambia. That session dealt with among other things, outstanding Reports, Communications and the human rights situations in North and West Africa.
7. From 9 to 11 March 2011, I participated in the Conference on the Promotion of the African Court, held in Lilongwe, Malawi. I presented a paper entitled "The Promising Siblings the Relationship between the African Court and the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights".
8. On 21 March 2011, I had a round table meeting with an organization called "Friends of Mulik" on health and human rights with particular reference to marginalized groups.