The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission), meeting at its 58th Ordinary Session held in Banjul, Islamic Republic of The Gambia, from 6 to 20 April 2016;
Recalling its mandate to promote and protect human and peoples’ rights under Article 45 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter);
Considering Rule 23 (1) of its Rules of Procedure which provides that: “The Commission may create subsidiary mechanisms such as special rapporteurs, committees and working groups”;
Recalling the importance of resolutions adopted by the Commission to take into account the human rights situations on the continent with a view to formulating guidance and recommendations on the promotion and protection of human rights in the African Charter;
Decides to establish a Resolutions Committee mandated to:
- Collect data and information on situations of human rights violations on the continent that may be addressed in resolutions and make proposals to the Commission;
- Consider resolutions proposed by subsidiary mechanisms of the Commission prior to their adoption in plenary;
- Ensure that the final versions of resolutions faithfully reflect the observations and comments of Members of the Commission;
- Ensure proper publication and popularisation of adopted resolutions through the appropriate means;
- Compile and analyse all resolutions of the Commission.
Appoints Commissioner Maya Sahli Fadel as Chairperson of the Committee for a period of two years as from 20 April 2016;
Also appoints Commissioners Soyata Maiga, Reine Alapini Gansou, Solomon Ayele Dersso and Jamesina Essie L. King as Members of the Committee;
Requests the Secretariat to provide the Committee with the necessary support.
Done in Banjul, Islamic Republic of The Gambia, on 20 April 2016