The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, meeting at its 28th Ordinary Session in Cotonou, Benin, from 23rd October to 6th November 2000:
Having considered the report on the UN World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance due to take place in South Africa from 31st August to 7th September 2001;
Noting that the African Commission and the OAU have not been adequately involved in the regional preparations for the World Conference;
Noting further that a regional experts seminar in preparation for the World Conference was held in Addis Ababa, 4th - 8th October 2000 and that a regional preparatory Conference is scheduled to take place in Dakar, Senegal in January 2001;
Considering that it is critical that African States in general, including regional institutions and civil society be fully involved in the preparations for, and to influence the outcomes of the World Conference;
Recalling its decision to nominate Commissioner Jainaba Johm as the focal point for the preparation of this World Conference;
1. Resolves to seek observer status with the Preparatory Committee of the World Conference, the next session of which will take place in Geneva in May 2001;
2. Nominates a Committee of 4 members with the focal point as a convenor with the following mandate as follows:
- To represent the Commission in all matters relating to the preparation for the World Conference and invite the OAU to take an active part in the preparation and holding of the Conference;
- To prepare a document on the issues to be considered by the World Conference and propose a strategy for effective participation by the Commission;
- To disseminate within Member States information materials likely to raise awareness of the World Conference;
- To encourage State parties to the African Charter and civil society to organise national preparatory meetings and to engage in preparations for the World Conference with all diligence;
- To report on developments at the 29th Ordinary Session of the African Commission;
3. Resolves to have this item on the Agenda of its 29th and 30th Ordinary Sessions; of the African Commission;
4. Requests the Secretariat to make all appropriate arrangements for the implementation of this resolution and report to the 29th Session.
Done in Cotonou, Benin, 6th November 2000.