Thirty-Sixth Ordinary Session
23 November – 7 December 2004, in Dakar, Senegal
Consideration of Reports submitted by States Parties under the Terms of Article 62 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Concluding Observations and Recommendations on the Second Periodic Report of the Republic of Rwanda
1. The Republic of Rwanda (Rwanda) is a State Party to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter) having ratified the same on 15 July 1983. Rwanda presented its initial Report in March 1991 in Banjul, The Gambia, at the 9th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Commission) and in March 2000 presented its 1st Periodic Report during the 27th Ordinary Session, held in May 2000, in Algiers, Algeria.
2. The present Periodic Report was submitted to the Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Secretariat) in May 2004, in conformity with Article 62 of the African Charter.
3. The present Concluding Observations are drawn from the presentation of the 2nd Periodic Report of Rwanda, which was considered during the 36th Ordinary Session of the African Commission, held from the 23 November to 7 December 2004 in Dakar, Senegal.
4. The Report was presented by a Delegation led by Her Excellency Mrs. Edda Mukabagwuiza, Minister of Justice of Rwanda.
5. The present Concluding Observations give an account of the positive aspects identified in the Report as well as the factors restricting the enjoyment of the rights guaranteed by the African Charter.
6. These Concluding Observations also outline the concerns drawn from the contents of the Report, and the recommendations formulated in this context by the African Commission.
7. The African Commission notes with satisfaction the frank and constructive dialogue it had with the Delegation during the presentation of the Report. The African Commission accordingly expresses its gratitude to Madam the Minister of Justice and to her Delegation for having provided detailed responses and information on the questions posed and on the requests for clarification from its Members.