The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Commission), meeting at its 11th Extra-Ordinary Session in Banjul, The Gambia, from 21 February to 1 March 2012;
RECALLING its mandate to promote and protect human and peoples’ rights in Africa pursuant to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter);
CONSIDERINGArticle 1 of the African Charter which calls on Member States to adopt legislative or other measures to give effect to the rights and freedoms enshrined therein;
FURTHER CONSIDERINGArticle 4 of the African Charter by virtue of which human beings are inviolable, with every human being entitled to respect for his life and the integrity of his person;
NOTING Article 3(f) and (h) of the Constitutive Act of the African Union (AU) which states that the objectives of the AU shall be to promote peace, security, and stability on the continent, as well as human and peoples’ rights in accordance with the African Charter and other relevant human rights instruments;
CONCERNED by the deteriorating human rights situation in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as a result of the recent wave of acts of violence;
DEEPLY CONCERNEDby the loss of hundreds of lives, injury caused and destruction of private and public property;
- STRONGLY CONDEMNSacts of violence targeting innocent civilians in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in particular on government structures and places of worship, including the recent attacks which targeted a Mosque in Kano on 24 February 2012 and a Church in the city of Jos on 26 February 2012.
- CALLS on the authors of such indefensible acts of violence to immediately stop their attacks against civilians;
- URGES the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to take all necessary measures to ensure the protection of its civilians in accordance with its regional and international human rights obligations;
- FURTHER URGESthe Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to put an end to impunity by ensuring that the perpetrators of these heinous acts are brought to justice;
- CALLS ON the AU and the international community to support the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in its efforts to end these acts of violence.
Done in Banjul, The Gambia, 29 February 2012