1. This report covers the activities undertaken by myself in my capacity as Commissioner and as the Chairperson of the Working Group on the Death Penalty in Africa. The period covers' activities undertaken between the 48th Ordinary Session in November 2010 and the 49th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights. These activities include: Promotion missions, meetings and seminars, letters sent and Urgent Appeals.
A. Activities undertaken as Commissioner
2. From 13 to 21 December 2010, as Commissioner responsible for promotional activities in the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Algeria and Chairperson of the Working Group on the Death Penalty in Africa, Commissioner Kayitesi conducted a Joint Promotion Mission to the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Algeria, together with the Special Rapporteur for the Rights of Women in Africa, Commissioner Maiga and the Special Rapporteur for Prisons and Conditions of Detention in Africa and the Chairperson of the Committee against Torture, Commissioner Catherine Dupe Atoki. The mission focused on various mechanisms supported by the Commissioners. During the mission the delegation noted positive developments made in promotion and protection of human rights; and the commitment of the government of Algeria to overcome the challenges still faced by the State in the area of human rights.
3. Commissioner Kayitesi appreciates that even though there were manifestations of the population in Algeria in the recent days, she commends the government of Algeria for maintaining peace and security of its population during that period in general. The Commissioner also encourages the Government of Algeria to continue its efforts in maintaining peace and the welfare of its citizens.
4. From 1 to 9 April 2011, Commissioner Kayitesi was part of the African Commission's delegation in a Joint Promotion Mission to the Democratic Republic of Congo. The delegation comprised of the Chairperson of the African Commission, Commissioner Reine Alapini Gansou, the Special Rapporteur for the Rights of Women in Africa, Commissioner Maiga, the Special Rapporteur for Prisons and Conditions of Detention in Africa and the Chairperson of the Committee against Torture, Commissioner Catherine Dupe Atoki, the Special Rapporteur for Human Rights Defenders, Commissioner Lucy Asuagbor, and the Chairperson of the Working Group on ECOSOC, Commissioner Bechir Khalfallah.
5. On 28 April 2011, Commissioner Kayitesi sent a reminder Note Verbale to the Republic of Burundi in a view to undertake a promotional mission in her capacity as Commissioner responsible for promotional activities in Burundi. 9th Extra Ordinary Session
6. From 24 February to 3 March 2011, Commissioner Kayitesi took part in the Extraordinary Session of the African Commission, which took place in Banjul, The Gambia. The Session was organised to deal with the burning human rights issues at the time as well as to consider Communications and Reports of the African Commission.
Meetings and Training Seminars
7. On 14 Januray 2011,Commissioner Kayitesi took part in training seminar on human rights of thirty three(33) journalists held in the northern province of Rwanda. She made a presentation on 'International and Regional Mechanisms on the Protection of Human Rights'. She took the opportunity to elaborate on the mandate and work of the African Commission and call on the journalists to play a key role in disseminating the content of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights.
8. On 14 March 2011, Commissioner Kayitesi took part in a training seminar on Human Rights of Senior Prison Officials held in the northern part of Rwanda. She made a presentation on 'International and Regional mechanisms on Human Rights'. The presentation focused on the work of the African Commission and on some African legal instruments which promote the rights of detainees.