On activities carried out in my capacity as Chairperson of the Working Group on economic, social and cultural rights (ECOSOC)
3. Commissioner Béchir Khalfallah, in his capacity as Chairperson of the ECOSOC Working Group contributed to the launching of two documents relating to the implementation of economic, social and cultural rights in Africa :
- The Principles and Guidelines on the implementation of economic , social and cultural rights in the African Charter ;
- The Guidelines on reporting by the States Parties on economic, social and cultural rights under the African Charter.
4. The official presentation of these documents was done during the Public Session of the African Commission on 25 October, 2011.
5. The Principles and Guidelines on ECOSOC like the Guidelines on Reporting by the States Parties are designed to guide the States Parties in the preparation and implementation of policies and programmes relating to the enjoyment of economic, social and cultural rights. In this context, the Principles and Guidelines should also serve as a reference instrument for civil society and the community of NGOs in the formulation of appropriate strategies aimed at achieving economic, social and cultural rights. Altogether, these two documents are meant for both civil society and the different political actors.
6. With the adoption of the two ECOSOC documents, the Working Group has partly fulfilled its mandate. Hence, the need to focus on and emphasize the second aspect of the mandate consisting of carrying out studies and research on some specific areas of economic, social and cultural rights under the oversight responsibility of the African Commission.
7. Allocation of substantial budgetary resources to the Working Group to enable it to carry out its mandate.