The African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (the Commission), meeting at its 66th Ordinary Session, held virtually from 13 July to 7 August 2020:
Recalling its mandate to promote and protect human and peoples' rights in Africa under Article 45 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights (the African Charter);
Recalling further the important role of the Commission in the implementation of the African Charter as well as the monitoring and assessment of the respect for the provisions of the African Charter;
Concerned by the various reports of human rights violations including serious and massive violations in some State Parties and the need for the Commissionto propose appropriate recommendations;
Bearing in mind the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) relating to its Special Mechanisms adopted during its 27th Extra-Ordinary Session held from 19 February to 4 March 2020, in Banjul, The Gambia;
Noting in particular, guidance provided by the SOPs on the different actions that Special Mechanisms can carry out individually or jointly with the Country Rapporteur in response to Human rights situation concerns;
1. Decides to allocate the responsibility for the monitoring of the human rights situation in the different State Parties among its members as follows:
- Honourable Commissioner Solomon Ayele Dersso: Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania;
- Honourable Commissioner Rémy Ngoy Lumbu: Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Gabon, Mali, Togo;
- Honourable Commissioner Kayitesi Zainabo Sylvie: Algeria, Angola, Chad, Senegal, Seychelles;
- Honourable Commissioner Maya Sahli-Fadel: Benin, Burkina Faso, Mauritania, Niger, Tunisia;
- Honourable Commissioner Jamesina Essie L. King: Eritrea, The Gambia, Namibia, Somalia, Zimbabwe;
- Honourable Commissioner Essaiem Hatem: Djibouti, Libya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Sudan;
- Honourable Commissioner Maria Teresa Manuela: Cabo Verde, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, São Tomè and Prìncipe;
- Honourable Commissioner Alexia Gertrude Amesbury: Botswana, Egypt, Eswatini, Lesotho, Zambia;
- Honourable Commissioner Mudford Zachariah Mwandenga: Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, Malawi, Rwanda;
- Honourable Commissioner Marie Louise Abomo: Burundi, Comoros, Congo-Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of Congo;
- Honourable Commissioner Ndiamé Gaye: Central African Republic, Guinea-Conakry, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Sierra Leone, Uganda.
2. Encourages State Parties to cooperate and consult the Country Rapporteurs of the Commission in the design, planning, implementation and review of Human Rights mandate in their country.
Done virtually, 07 August 2020.