The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, meeting in its 40 th Ordinary Session held in Banjul, The Gambia, from 15 to 29 November 2006:
Being aware of the grave human rights situation prevailing in the Darfur Region of Sudan since February 2003;
Recalling its Resolutions ACHPR /Res.68 (XXXV) 04, ACHPR /Res.74 (XXXVII) 05 and ACHPR/Res.93 (XXXVIII) 05 on the human rights situation in Darfur;
Noting with concern the human rights violations perpetrated by the parties to the conflict against the civilian populations, internally displaced persons in Darfur, and refugees who fled from Darfur;
Expressing satisfaction at the conclusion of the Darfur Peace Agreement in Abuja, Nigeria, in May, 2006;
Noting with regret the failure by some parties to the conflict to sign the Darfur Peace Agreement;
Concerned at the resurgence of the fighting and the violations of the human and peoples’ rights of the civilian populations and the internally displaced persons in Darfur, and the deterioration of the humanitarian situation, in particular, the problems faced by humanitarian agencies in the Darfur;
Commending the agreement reached between the United Nations Secretary General, the African Union and the Government of the Republic of Sudan in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on 16 November 2006, on the logistical, financial support and the deployment of a joint United Nations/African Union Peacekeeping Operation in the Darfur;
Expressing satisfaction at the measures taken hitherto by the African Union Mission in Sudan to monitor the peace and protect the internally displaced persons and civilian populations in the Darfur, in spite of material and logistical constraints;
- Condemns the attacks on the civilian populations, the personnel of the African Union Mission in Sudan, and attacks suffered by humanitarian agencies perpetrated by various parties to the conflict;
- Urges those parties to the conflict which have not done so, to sign the Darfur Peace Agreement and cease the armed conflict;
- Urges the Government of the Republic of Sudan to implement the terms agreed to in Addis Ababa on 16 November 2006 for the deployment of a joint United Nations/African Union Peacekeeping force in the Darfur without further delay;
- Commends the African Union Mission in Sudan for the work it is doing in the Darfur, and recommends it to continue with its efforts towards the resolution of the conflict in the Darfur;
- Urges the Government of Sudan to acknowledge the 2004 Report of the African Commission Mission to the Darfur and submit its response to the African Commission.
Done in Banjul, The Gambia, 29 November 2006.