The mission was undertaken by Commissioner B. Pityana from 2 to 7 April 2001. The objective of the visit of the mission were:
- to encourage closer relations between Botswana and the Commission,
- to initiate a dialogue on issues of concern to the Commission, particularly the submission of periodic reports under section 62 of the Charter and the progress made in the context of the ratification of the Protocol to the African Charter on the creation of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights.
Outcome of the mission
- The Government of the Republic of Botswana has undertaken the preparation of its initial report for submission to the African Commission. Government authorities appreciated the offer by the Commission to assist in the preparation of this report.
- The Government of the Republic of Botswana will accelerate the procedure for ratification of the OAU Protocol establishing the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights.
- The Government of the Republic of Botswana will work to improve its presence and participation in meetings and other activities of the Commission and urges the Commission to facilitate the participation of Botswana in seminars that it sponsors, including judicial training.
- The mission appreciates the commitment of the Government of the Republic of Botswana to consider the possibility to extend the powers of the Ombudsman so that it can monitor the evolution of the situation of human rights in the country instead of creating a national institution for human rights.
- The Government of the Republic of Botswana is ready to use the good offices of the Commission to participate in training programs, including those for police officers and the immigration service.
- The Commission welcomes the initiative of the University of Botswana to integrate education for human rights in the training programme for lawyers.
- The mission encourages the human rights NGOs of Botswana to seek observer status with the Commission and proposes that the Commission initiates a training programme for NGOs in Botswana on the procedures of the ACHPR for submitting communications and their consideration by the Commission.