1. The Republic of Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe) is a State Party to the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights (the African Charter), having ratified it in 1986.
2. It submitted its Periodic Combined Report in accordance with Article 62 of the African Charter and its Initial Report on the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa (the Maputo Protocol) pursuant to Article 26 of the Maputo Protocol on 05 August 2019 and the Reports covered the periods 2007 to 2019 and 2008 to 2019 respectively.
3. The African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (the Commission) considered the Report at its 65th Ordinary Session, held from 21 October – 10 November 2019 in Banjul, The Gambia.
4. The Report was presented to the Commission by a high powered delegation led by Honourable Ziyambi Ziyambi, Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs.
5. The Report highlights developments which have taken place in the country in the area of promotion and protection of human and peoples’ rights, and the legislative, administrative and judicial measures put in place to comply with the country’s obligations under the African Charter for the period 2007 to 2019 as well as the Maputo Protocol for the period 2008 to 2019.