1. The Republic of Mauritius (Mauritius) is a State Party to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter), having ratified the same on 19 June 1992.
2. Mauritius presented its 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Combined Periodic Report (November 1996 – May 2009) at the 45th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission), which was held from 13 to 27 May 2009, in Banjul, The Gambia.
3. The present Report, submitted to the Commission on 28 April 2016, is the 6th to 8th Combined Report, encompassing the period between May 2009 and December 2015.
4. The Commission considered the present Report during its 59th Ordinary Session, which was held in Banjul, Islamic Republic of The Gambia, from 21 October to 04 November 2016.
5. The Report was presented to the Commission by the Delegation from Mauritius, led by Mr. Om Kumar Dabidin, Permanent Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office. The following were part of the Delegation: - Mrs. Chittoo, Acting Assistant Solicitor General; - Mrs. Pillay-Nababsing, State Counsel.
6. The Report highlights developments which have taken place in the area of the promotion and protection of human and peoples’ rights, in addition to the legislative, administrative and other measures put in place to comply with the country’s obligations under the African Charter.