15th Extraordinary Session
7 to 14 March 2014, Banjul, The Gambia
Consideration of Reports Submitted by States Parties under Article 62 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Concluding Observations on the 3rd Periodic Report of the Republic of Cameroon
1. The Republic of Cameroon is a State Party to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter), having ratified it on 20 June 1989.
2. The Republic of Cameroon submitted its third periodic report, in accordance with Article 62 of the African Charter, at the 54th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission) held from 22 October to 5 November 2013 in Banjul, The Gambia.
3. The report was presented by the delegation of the Republic of Cameroon, led by H.E. Joseph Dion Ngute, Minister Delegate at the Ministry of External Relations in charge of Relations with the Commonwealth. He was accompanied by:
Mrs Chantal Mfoula, Director of African Affairs at the Ministry of External Relations;
Mr Christian Ondoua Ntsama, Deputy Director for African Union Affairs at the Ministry of External Relations;
Mrs Linda Ekwe, Secretary for External Affairs at the Department of Legal Affairs and International Commitments at the Ministry of External Relations.
4. The report highlights developments in the Republic of Cameroon in the area of human and peoples’ rights, as well as legislative, administrative and other measures taken to implement the provisions of the African Charter, since Cameroon presented its second periodic report at the 47th Ordinary Session held from 12 to 26 May 2010 in Banjul, The Gambia.
5. The present Concluding Observations give an account of the positive aspects, factors restricting the effective enjoyment of human rights and the areas of concern with regard to respect for human rights in the country. They also include the Commission’s recommendations to the Cameroonian Government towards strengthening the enjoyment of human rights in Cameroon.
6. The Commission commends the delegation of the Republic of Cameroon for its frank and constructive dialogue during the presentation of Cameroon’s 3rd periodic report and for the information provided regarding the concerns raised by the members of the Commission.