The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights meeting at its 38th Ordinary Session from 21st November to 5th December 2005 in Banjul, The Gambia,
Recalling the Resolution adopted at its 37th Ordinary Session that took place from 27th April to 11th May 2005 in Banjul, The Gambia, by which it created the Working Group on Specific Issues Relating to the Work of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
Appreciating the work that the Working Group has done over the intersession period;
Considering the interim report of the Working Group;
Considering further the necessity to allow the Working Group to continue to carry out its mandate and address urgent pending issues failing within the said mandate;
Decides to renew the mandate of the Working Group for twelve (12) months;
Further decides that the composition of the Working Group will be as follows:
- Commissioner Mohamed Abdellahi Ould Babana;
- Commissioner Angela Melo;
- Commissioner Pansy Tlakula; and
- One (1) representative from each of the following Non Governmental Organisations:
- the Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA);
- INTERIGHTS; and
- Open Society Justice Initiative.
Requests the Working Group to deal as a matter of priority with the following matters and to report accordingly to the African Commission at its 39th Ordinary Session:
- The relationship between the African Commission and the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights ;
- The relationship between the Bureau of the African Commission and the Secretariat of the Commission ;
- The relationship between the African Commission and the different organs and institutions of the African Union.
Further requests the Secretariat of the African Commission to intensify its efforts to mobilise resources that could assist the Working Group to carry out its mandate.