Convened in terms of Article 64 (2) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, read together with Rule 27 of the Rules of Procedure of the ACHPR, 2020
Banjul, 29 August 2022; The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the ACHPR) wishes to inform State Parties to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, Organs of the African Union, National Human Rights Institutions, International Organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations and the general public that the 73rd Ordinary Session of the ACHPR is scheduled to take place from Thursday 20 October to Wednesday 9 November, 2022.
WHAT: The 73rd Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human & Peoples’ Rights
WHEN: 20 October – 9 November 2022
Private Session: 20 October
Public Session (In-person): 21 – 30 October 2022
Opening Ceremony: Friday, 21 October 2022, 09:00 – 11: 30 Hours (GMT)
Monday – Saturday: 09:00 – 17:30 Hours (GMT);
Private Session: 31 October – 8 November 2022
Public Session: Closing Ceremony (Virtual): 9 November 2022, 09:00 – 11:00 Hours (GMT)
WHERE: International Conference Centre, Kerr Serign, The Gambia
REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE:https://Forms.Office.Com/R/Pj1gFGC0Yx Deadline 30 September 2022
REGISTER TO MAKE A STATEMENT:
ITEM 4: Human Rights Situation in Africa. Deadline 30 September 2022
Web link: Https://Forms.Gle/Pq2E71nC1ALBv2YX6
ITEM 10: Activity Reports of Commissioners and Special Mechanisms (Interventions) Deadline 20 October 2022
Web link: Https://Forms.Gle/TxBeJGAG5p7eAMtN7
STATE PARTIES’ RIGHT TO REPLY: ITEM 4: Human Rights Situation in Africa. Deadline 22 October 2022
Web link: Https://Forms.Gle/FvLkmaX7qth981SW7
REGISTER TO MAKE INTERVENTION ON PANELS & LAUNCHES: ITEM 5: PANELS AND LAUNCHES. Deadline 30 September 2022
Web link: Https://Forms.Gle/N5qMhwxiLLMh9EdbA
PUBLIC SESSION DOCUMENTS: 73rd Ordinary Session Public Documents 73rd Ordinary Session Public Documents
21 – 30 October 2022: Public Session in Banjul, The Gambia
9 November 2022 – Closing Ceremony (Public Session) Https://Zoom.Us/Webinar/Register/WN_V34xFT5lRFarNMfb1fuc5g
9 November 2022 – Media Conference (Following Closing Ceremony - Public Session) Https://Zoom.Us/Webinar/Register/WN_V34xFT5lRFarNMfb1fuc5g
WHO: The Commissioners and the Secretariat of the ACHPR, all States Parties, Organs of the African Union, National Human Rights Institutions, International Organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations, and other members of the general public are invited to attend.
This Ordinary Session will be physical. The Commission will focus on the following Session activities:
- Swearing in of newly elected Commissioner;
- 35TH Anniversary Celebrations of the Establishment of the ACHPR
- Redistribution of Country Responsibilities and Re-allocation of Special Mechanisms Mandates;
- Human Rights Situation in Africa;
- Consideration of State Party Reports;
- Consideration of Applications for Affiliate Status from NHRIs and for Observer Status from NGOs;
- Activity Reports of Commissioners;
- Panel Discussions;
- Consideration of Communications;
- Consideration of Concluding Observations;
- Consideration of Reports and other documents.
The Ordinary Session will be live streamed on: Https://Www.Youtube.Com/Channel/UCgwJmiMTr59J0jYZJJtfzuw
An information note will be sent out to all interested participants in due course.
NOTE FOR EDITORS: The ACHPR is composed of eleven Commissioners, nationals of Member States of the African Union elected in their individual capacity. The ACHPR meets 4 (four) times a year in Ordinary Sessions, which may include Extra-Ordinary Sessions.
1. For more comments: Ms. Lindiwe Khumalo, Ag. Secretary to the Commission Tel.: +220 3518796 / 3861440; E-mail: au-Banjul@Africa-Union.Org
2. For documentation and materials, please contact: Mr. Elliot Nsega, Tel. +220 230 4361: E-mail: Nsegae@Africa-Union.Org or Au-Banjul@Africa-Union.Org Further information on the ACHPR can be obtained from the ACHPR’s website at Www.Achpr.Org.
3. For media interested in participating please contact: Mr. Etwell Karikoga, E-mail: Karikogae@Africa-Union.Org