- The Mission was conducted by Commissioner Andrew Ranganayi Chigovera, who is the Commissioner responsible for promotional activities in the Republic of Namibia. Ms. Fiona Adolu assisted Commissioner Chigovera on this mission. Mr. Daniel Utoni Nujoma, the Chairperson of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Human Rights in Namibia and Mr. Simataa Limbo, a legal officer with the Inter- Ministerial Committee received the delegation, assisted and accompanied them to most of the appointments.
The objectives of the mission were :
- To promote the African Charter, exchange views and information on import and implementation of the Africa Charter;
- To raise awareness of and visibility of the African Commission and its functions especially among the relevant government departments and institutions and in civil society;
- To discuss three important issues: the Communication against Namibia brought by Jose Domingos Sikunda, the process for the ratification of the Protocol to the African Charter on the Establishment of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child;
- Seek clarification and follow up on reports and information before the African Commission about the country;
- To encourage a closer relationship between the African Commission and the Republic of Namibia.
- The Government of the Republic of Namibia undertook to accelerate procedures towards the ratification of the Protocol on the Establishment of the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights and finalise the process of ratifying the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child which was already underway.
- The Government of the Republic of Namibia has undertaken to address issues that were raised in the Concluding Observations and report on action taken in its next periodic report.
- The Government of the Republic of Namibia has undertaken to take steps towards the establishment of a National Human Rights Institution.
- The Mission recommends that the African Commission evaluate NGOs enjoying observer status periodically to verify whether those organisations continue to fulfil the criteria prescribed in the 'Resolution on the Criteria for Granting and Enjoying Observer Status to Non-Governmental Organisations working in the field of Human and Peoples' Rights with the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights".
- The Mission recommends that the Commission develops a programme for training human rights NGOs in Namibia on the ACHPR procedures for the submission of communications and the handling of communications by the Commission.
- The Mission recommends that the African Commission develops and establishes working relationships with Sub Regional institutions in Africa like the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and offices of the Ombudsman.
- The Mission also urges the African Commission to establish and maintain links with the Judiciary in Africa and involve them in the activities of the African Commission, for instance through the exchange of reports and decisions.