The mission was led by Commissioner Isaac Nguema, honorary Chairman of the Commission, assisted by Mr. Jules Batchono, Legal Officer in Charge of Promotion at the Secretariat of the Commission. It took place from 22 September to 2 October 2001. The general objective of the mission was to strengthen the dissemination and implanting of the African Charter and bringing the African Commission's support and encouragement to Burkina Faso in its search for solutions to the deepening of the democratization process.
For the attention of the Government of Burkina Faso:
- Implement the reforms, especially in the area of Justice and ensure effective implementation of commitments made within the framework of the search for solution to problems of human rights violations.
- Make all the necessary arrangements to combat illiteracy and poverty, which hinders the enjoyment of human rights.
- Take necessary measures for the transformation of the Secretariat of State for the Promotion of Human Rights in Ministry and the creation of a National Commission for Human Rights in Burkina Faso.
- Proceed as soon as feasible with the implementation of the decision taken by the Commission during its 29th Ordinary session held from23rd April to 7th May 2001, in Tripoli, Libya.
- Accelerate the transmission of the next periodic report of Burkina to the Secretariat of the African Commission with a view to scheduling it for submission to the Commission.
- To play fully its role as the key player in the promotion and protection of human rights in the country, especially through the diffusion of the African Charter, collaboration with the African Commission, NGOs and by creating the enabling environment for exercising fundamental rights and freedoms.
For the attention of the Civil Society in Burkina Faso:
- Search for dialogue, consultation and negotiation against violence.
- Provide human rights education to the population through the promotion of the African Charter, in collaboration with the Government and contribute towards the formulation and submission of reports that Burkina should submit to the oversight organs for international human rights instruments especially the African Commission.
- Further develop collaboration with the African Commission.
For the attention of the African Commission:
- Further enhance collaboration with its partners in Burkina Faso.
- To ensure follow-up of implementation of Recommendations made by the promotional mission.
- Take necessary measures for an eventual dispatch of a technical assistance mission to Burkina Faso, upon request from any one of its partners operating in the country.