Working Group on the Rights of Older Persons and People with Disabilities in Africa
Year of Establishment: 2007 | Type: Special
The Working Group on Rights of Older Persons and People with Disabilities originated as a Focal Point which was established by the adoption of Resolution 118 at the 42nd Ordinary Session held in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo from 15-28 November 2007.
Resolution 143 of the 45th Ordinary Session (Banjul, The Gambia – May 2009) a) extended the mandate of the group by establishing a Working Group on the Rights of Older Persons and People with Disabilities, with the mandate to:
- hold comprehensive brainstorming sessions to articulate the rights of older persons and people with disabilities;
- draft a Concept Paper for consideration by the African Commission that will serve as a basis for the adoption of the Draft Protocol on Ageing and People with Disabilities;
- facilitate and expedite comparative research on the various aspects of human rights of older persons and people with disabilities on the continent, including their socio-economic rights;
- collect data on older persons and people with disabilities to ensure proper mainstreaming of their rights in the policies and development programmes of Member States;
- identify good practices to be replicated in Member States;
- submit a detailed Report to the African Commission at each Ordinary Session.
The Working Group is elaborating a Draft Protocol on the Rights of Older Persons which was most recently submitted to the 50th Ordinary Session of the African Commission.