ADV. PANSY TLAKULA
Commissioner of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Presented to the 51st Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
18 April – 2 May 2012
Banjul, The Gambia
1. This Activity Report of Adv. Pansy Tlakula presents her activities in her capacity as a member of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Commission) during the intersession, November 2011 to April 2012.
2. It is worth noting that the term of Office of Commissioner Tlakula as a member of the African Commission came to an end in May 2011, and she was re-elected in November 2011 for another period of six years.
3rd World Human Rights Moot Court Competition
3. On 9 December 2011, Commissioner Tlakula was invited as a Judge for the Final Round of the 3rd World Human Rights Moot Court Competition at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
Interaction with Zimbabwean delegation
4. On 22 March 2012, Commissioner Tlakula interacted with a delegation from the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights, on pertinent human rights issues and the general status of human rights in Zimbabwe, as well possible measures to be taken to improve the situation.
Workshop for African National Human Rights Institutions on reporting processes to the African regional human rights mechanisms
5. From 16 to 17 April 2012, Commissioner Tlakula took part in the Workshop for African National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) on reporting processes to the African regional human rights mechanisms.
6. Commissioner Tlakula made two presentations: “Overview of and Interaction between African human rights mechanisms”, and “The Communication Procedures of the African Commission.”