Activities carried out in my capacity as Special Rapporteur on Refugees, Asylum Seekers, Internally Displaced Persons and Migrants in Africa.
- Letters of reminder for the ratification of the African Union Convention for the Protection and Assistance of Internally Displaced Persons in Africa (Kampala Convention) were sent to those States Parties to the African Charter that had not yet ratified it, urging them to do so. It should be recalled that two and a half years after its adoption this important instrument has still not yet entered into force for lack of the 15 ratifications required under Article 17, Point 1 of this same Instrument. Only 11 countries, namely Benin, the Central African Republic, Chad, Gabon, The Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Lesotho, Sierra Leone, Togo, Uganda and Zambia have so far ratified the Convention.
- During the 11th Extraordinary Session organized in February 2012 in Banjul, The Gambia, we adopted a Resolution on the situation of refugees and internally displaced persons fleeing the conflict in the North of Mali. The African Commission condemned in no uncertain terms the resumption of hostilities by the Touareg rebels in North Mali which led to the increased displacement of the populations both in the interior and outside of Mali. It moreover expressed appreciation for the commitment shown by the States (Algeria, Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania) which had provided hospitality and showed solidarity with these refugee populations from Mali.
- On the sidelines of this 51st Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, I met several different representatives of civil society organizations active in refugee, asylum seekers, internally displaced populations and migrant issues. During these meetings the situation of refugees, migrants and internally displaced persons in certain regions of Africa were discussed, which in the future could result in field visits ground for the purpose of ascertaining the situation of these persons and the adoption of appropriate measures.
- In conclusion, in my capacity as Member of the Working Group on the Death Penalty, I participated in the launching of the document “Study on the Issue of the Death Penalty in Africa”.
- I also participated in the deliberations of the Working Group on Communications from 17 April 2012 to examine two Complaints submitted to the Commission for seizure.
To the States Parties to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- I urge the Member States of the African Union that have not yet done so, to ratify and/or speed up the process of ratification of the African Union Convention for the Protection and Assistance of Internally Displaced Persons in Africa (Kampala Convention).
To the Civil Society Organizations
- I recommend to the Organizations of Civil Society to pursue their advocacy mission with their Governments so as to sensitize them to ratify the Kampala Convention allowing its entry into force for the effective protection of internally displaced persons on the African Continent.